Saturday, August 15, 2009

Babymoon: Episode 5: The Vegans Strike Back

In our last episode, the evil forces of treats were mightily vanquished by the brave Lily...

Onward to St. Louis! While there, we stopped off and visited some friends and their adorable kids. Then, it's off to lunch at this little pub tucked away near an overpass called O'Connell's.

Sometimes fortune smiles on me in the most devious ways. Such as making me go to a party I really didn't want to go to in the first place and meeting my future wife there. Yes, fate is a tricky mistress. She gives freely, but then asks a lot in return. Case in point:

The special that day just so happened to be the Reuben sandwich. For those that don't know, the Reuben is a corned beef sandwich with sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing. It is the third most awesome sandwich creation in history (the second being the Monte Cristo sandwich: an amazing creation consisting of a ham sandwich dipped in batter, fried, sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with maple syrup or raspberry sauce. And the most awesome creation being the Luther Burger. This burger is the most awesome thing since Lance Uppercut, the cyborg ninja, traveled to Awesometown to fight the rampaging hordes of dinosaur-riding pirates. It is an Angus burger topped with melted cheese and bacon, served on a sliced and deep fried Krispy Kreme doughnut.) Not only did I eat this marvelous creation, I also finished my fries, Carly's onion rings and part of a Coney Island chili dog.

Needless to say, I was about to burst with fatty meat and grease goodness.

So, as we reached Memphis, we found out a disturbing change in the status quo. My father had gone vegan. No meat, no meat-based products, no dairy, no eggs. On the plus side, he is healthier and I'm thankful for that. We did have a tofu dish with peanut and ginger sauce that was pretty good.

After a few days, Carly and I needed a burger... with real meat. Hopping in the car, we sprinted to Red Robin (yum!). I'm not quite sure how the burgers there qualify as "gourmet" as they claim (there's not a Luther in sight on the menu). Not that it was a bad burger, it just wasn't what the hype claimed it to be.

We visited good friends had a lot of good meals and a good time was had by all.

INTERMISSION:
A True Pharmacy Story.

A mother comes up to the counter with her 4 year old son

Mother: I need something for my son here.
Son: HI!!!
Me: Hi!
Mother: He has diarrhea and we need something that'll work.
Son: Yeah, 'cause I've got the squirts!

Hilarity ensues.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I love your intermission story.

    Why did your dad decide to go Vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one reason is so he could get his pilot's license back to fly up here for the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for a Kids Say the Darnedest Things moment! Have you had the Bonzai Burger at Red Robin? I want to live inside one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, also good is the Santa Fe burger!

    ReplyDelete